Skip to main content - access key m.
Skip to main navigation - access key n.









Frequently Asked Questions



Admissions Process

Q: Is it mandatory to have a master’s degree when applying to the Ph.D. program?

A: No, but applicants must have either a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a bachelor's in some other discipline and a master's in Electrical Engineering.

Q: How do I apply online to one of the graduate programs within the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department?

A: See Steps to Admission in Graduate Admissions.

Q: How do I check on my application status?

A: After submitting your application, an email will be sent within 2-3 business days regarding instructions on how to check your application status online.

Q: What are the application deadlines?

A: Please visit Graduate Admissions for domestic and international application deadlines.

Q: Are the application deadlines different for F1 and J1 visas?

A: Deadlines are implemented and set by the university to allow adequate time to obtain a visa and other required documents. The deadline dates are the same. Fees and Deadlines in Graduate Admissions.

Q: What are the graduate application requirements?

A: Please visit Submitting Documents in Graduate Admissions.

Q: Can I submit my resume with the application?

A: The online application does not have upload feature for a resume since it is not a required document for admission.

Q: I had trouble uploading documents during the application process.

A: Rectifying errors during the application process and accessing the system for recommendation letter request should be directed to the Office of Admissions and Enrollment. Email [email protected]

Q: One of my professors is out of town/vacation, and will be late in sending reference letter (s); will this delay an admission decision?

A: Your file must be complete before it can be forwarded to the committee for an admission decision.

Q: I have not completed my undergraduate studies. I do not have the final transcript. When am I required to submit the final transcript?

A: You must submit all transcripts. See mailing address below. Also, email [email protected] for queries or concerns regarding receipt of official documents [transcripts & test scores]. Include any email communication with your university concerning delay in the issuance of your official transcripts.

Q: How should I send my official documents?

A1. By Mail:
Office of Admission & Enrollment
The University of Texas at Dallas
800 W. Campbell Rd.
Richardson, TX 75080-3021
A2. By Encrypted Email (etranscripts): from issuing university to [email protected]

Q: What are my chances of getting into the program?

A: The EE graduate admission dept. is not at liberty to make a determination on admission to UTD before going through the admissions process; See minimum requirements for admissions described in the UTD Graduate Catalog.

Q: How long does it take for an admissions decision?

A: The length of time for an admissions decision to be made varies a great deal depending on the time of year when your file is completed. You should allow up to six weeks for processing of application materials.

Q: Is there a time limit for completing the master’s degree?

A: All requirements for the master’s degree must be completed within one six-year period, including transfer credit. UTD Graduate Catalog.

Q: Is there a time limit for completing the Ph.D. program?

A: All requirements for the doctoral degree must be completed within one ten-year period. Students whose master’s degrees are accepted for full credit toward a Ph.D. must complete all requirements for the doctoral degree within one eight-year period. UTD Graduate Catalog.

Q: If I am unable to attend UTD after receiving admission, how do I defer for another semester?

A: By completing a deferment form online, Graduate Deferment of Admission Request.



Q: What are the institution, GRE and TOEFL codes?

A: UTD 6897

Q: What are GRE score guidelines for the graduate programs within the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department?

A: GRE® revised General Test (tests taken on or after August 1, 2011)


Scores Reported

Verbal Reasoning

130–170, in 1 point increments

Quantitative Reasoning

130–170, in 1 point increments

Analytical Writing

0–6, in half point increments

Q: What are the TOEFL score requirements and UTD Code for reporting score?

A: See English Proficiency Requirements for International Applicants.


Test Basis


Internet-Based test


IELTS Academic


PTE Academic


Paper-based test


Tuition Costs

Q: What are the tuition and fee costs for graduate school?

A: Please visit the Bursar Office to view the tuition and fees schedule.


Financial Assistance

Q: What types of financial assistance are available

A. See EE Financial Assistance.


Newly Admitted Students

Q: How do I transfer graduate course credit to UTD?

A: You must first be admitted to one of the EE graduate programs as a degree-seeking student. Please refer to: Graduate Degree Programs and Policies

Q: What are the prerequisite courses listed in my admissions letter?

A: Students’ files are carefully reviewed for admission, and all deficiencies are noted for all tracks of study. Students are responsible for completing only those prerequisites listed on the track of study that they choose as a condition of their admittance to their graduate program.

Q: How would I apply for waivers of prerequisite courses?

A: Students who wish to apply for waivers should pick up the waiver form from EE Graduate Advising. A waiver is appropriate if you have studied the material in some other course(s) and have received a grade of B or higher. During the transfer/waiver process, students should provide copies of their official transcripts showing grades earned and course descriptions.

Q: I’m a newly admitted international student. When will I receive my I-20?

A: The UTD International Student Services Office (ISSO) will work with you to issue your I-20 and answer your immigration-related questions. Please visit F-1 Students in International Student Services.

Q: Will my I-20 be sent with my admissions letter?

A: Your I-20 and official letter of acceptance are sent separately since each document is issued by different offices. See International Student Services

Q: Where can I view a complete list of graduate courses in Electrical Engineering?

A: Please visit the UTD Graduate Catalog

Q: I have been admitted to one of the EE graduate programs. How many classes should I take during my first semester?

A: Most full-time EE/CE/TE graduate students take nine credit hours per semester, which is equal to three classes, although some students take 12 credit hours (four classes). The recommended course load is one or two core courses with one or two electives. Taking three core courses in one semester is not recommended.
Before registering for classes, first semester students must meet with an academic advisor immediately after the department student orientation or by making an appointment online (see course/degree plan). This is to determine your track of study and to discuss the courses you should take. For a complete list of graduate courses in graduate engineering, please see the UTD Graduate Catalog.


Change of Major

Q: As a current UTD student, how do I change to a different graduate program within the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering or from any UTD academic program?

A: Admission to one program does not automatically transfer admission to another program. You must submit a new application for that particular program, as well as, a new narrative and letters. Transcripts, GRE, and/or TOEFL scores should be on file and are not necessary to re-submit.

  • If you are a current EE, CE or TE graduate student who wishes to change their major within the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, you must complete a new application (no application fee required).
  • If you are a current non-EE/CE/TE student who wishes to change their major to EE, CE or TE, a new application must be completed (no application fee required).

Current Students

Q: How do I audit a course?

A: The Erik Jonsson School of Engineering & Computer Science does not allow auditing of courses.

Q: Can I replace a grade by retaking a course?

A: Students who wish to repeat a course must complete a Repeated Course Adjustment form Up to three courses may be repeated, but no course may be repeated more than once. When a course is repeated, the earlier grade will remain on the student’s record and will be included on all transcripts. The highest grade will be used in computing the grade-point average or credit hours for purposes of graduation or determination of probationary status. A notation beside the first grade will indicate that the course has been repeated.

Q: I'm on academic probation. What should I do?

A: Please make an appointment with Kathy Gribble (select Academic Issues/Degree Audit).


Research Interests

Q: How can I determine whether my research interests are compatible with those of the faculty?

A: A good source of information is our Faculty Research Areas.



Q: How do I apply for graduation?

A: See How do I apply for graduation in EE Graduate Forms & Announcements.



Back to Top